GDAMS 2023 will take place from April 13 to May 9. Save the dates!
This year of war in Ukraine has meant a huge boost for militarism and military budgets across the world, especially in countries of the Global North. But at GCOMS we believe the response should be quite the opposite: we should drastically reduce military spending and invest in common and human security instead…
The 12th edition of the Global Days of Action on Military Spending will take place from April 13 to May 9, 2023. Join us protesting military budgets & warmongering, and take action for peace & justice!
These dates include:
- April 18: Tax Day in the USA
- April 22: Earth Day
- April 24: GDAMS press conferences and social media storm on the occasion of SIPRI’s release of new data on military spending
- May 9: Europe’s Day of Peace · Actions against the militarization of the EU
More details will appear here soon!
How can you get involved?
If you’re part of an organization:
- Prepare your own GDAMS action or join activities prepared by other organizations near you. Once you know the details of your action please send us an email so we can add them to our map & agenda and help you spread the word. You can see examples from last year here.
- April 24 will be the main day of action once again. Using new military spending data released that day by SIPRI (figures for 2022), we’ll hold press conferences and launch a Social Media Storm. We’ll send instructions for social media actions soon, and if you’re preparing media work in your city/country, we can help you plan it.
- Stay active during GDAMS by sharing ideas, articles, actions and debates through your own network and social media, with other GCOMS partners, and with us (Facebook, Twitter and Instagram).
As an individual:
- Join a local group working on the issue, or set one up!
Here’s our list of partners.
- Do Online Campaigning: join our social media storm on April 24; use your social media to protest military budgets by sharing pictures, news, materials and actions;
- Write an op-ed; Send a letter to representatives in your country responsible for defense budgets.
For ideas and inspiration, check out out our handbook or our GDAMS 2022 report.