Above Photo: Honduran Political Prisoners Edwin Espinal, Raúl Álvarez and Rommel Herrera
On Monday August 5, Honduran Political Prisoners Edwin Espinal, Raúl Álvarez and Rommel Herrera started a hunger strike inside of La Tolva maximum-security military run prison in order to protest the unjust, inhumane and dangerous conditions they have been subjected and that have put their lives at risk. The Honduran Political Prisoners have been joined by a broad section of the Honduran social movement led by the Committee for the Freedom of Political Prisoners, who organized a rolling fast outside Honduran Public Prosecutor’s Office from August 5-9. Their demands are:
1. Improve the prison conditions for all Honduran prisoners
2. Transfer Edwin, Raul and Rommel from a maximum-security prison to the second battalion, the requested detention site by family & lawyers.
3. Freedom for Edwin Espinal, Raúl Álvarez, Rommel Herrera and Gustavo Cáceres – detained in El Progreso.
4. Justice for Berta Cáceres, arrest the masterminds of Berta’s murder.
5. Immediate removal of Honduran President Juan Orlando Hernandez from power.
Meanwhile the hunger strike continue all this week, mass mobilizations, road blocks and protests have begun around the country to demand Juan Orlando Hernández resignation and to defend public health and education. Edwin, Raúl, Rommel, Gustavo and Honduran people are calling for your solidarity! The only crime of Honduran political prisoners is to resist US and Canada backed Juan Orlando Hernández dictatorship. This is the time to support Hondurans in their fight against the US and Canada backed dictator.