- The Government of the Republic ratifies its position in favor of a safe, orderly and legal migration, and above all, respectful of the human rights of migrants.
- In order to provide support to migrants from Central American countries that are in the national territory, President Enrique Peña Nieto announced today the “You are in your house” Plan.
In light of the unprecedented flow of people from Central American countries who have entered the last few days through the southern border, President Enrique Peña Nieto today announced the “You are at home” Plan whose main objective is to provide work options temporary while their immigration status is resolved.
Mexico is a country that values and recognizes the dignity of migrants, regardless of their migratory status, as well as their contributions to the economic, social and cultural development of the countries of destination, transit, origin and return.
The “You are in your house” plan consists of two main components:
1) Migrants who approach the migration authority and who so request, may access the Temporary Employment Program (PET) in the states of Chiapas and Oaxaca, under the operating rules of existing programs on the subject.
These temporary work options will be available for people who are of working age, and who come before the authorities of the National Institute of Migration (INM) to register their stay in the country, through obtaining a Unique Registration Code of Temporary Population for Foreigners.
2) Obtaining the Single Code of Population Registration (CURP) for Foreigners ensures that migrants have proof of legal identity and that they can exercise their rights by accessing the services provided by the Mexican State, such as:
a) enter and leave the shelters;
b) obtain medical attention in the clinics of the Mexican Social Security Institute (IMSS);
c) and manage procedures, such as opening a bank account.
The federal resources will be allocated to the benefit of approximately 6 thousand people through the immediate PET modality, destined to attend to social emergencies and will be exercised through the Secretariat of Communications and Transportation (SCT).
The beneficiaries will perform repairs, maintenance and cleaning of social infrastructure, such as roads, streets and public spaces in different areas of Chiapas and Oaxaca.
The projects and activities in which the migrants who are regularizing their immigration status will be included, will be evaluated and approved by the State PET committees in Chiapas and Oaxaca.
The procedure is free and must be done at the INM offices.
To be a beneficiary of the PET and the temporary CURP for foreigners, three requirements are indispensable:
1) That the migrants are in the states of Chiapas or Oaxaca.
2) That the migrant -and the relatives who accompany them- have already requested their entry or the recognition of refugee status with the National Institute of Migration. If they have not yet done so, and they are part of the migrant caravan or previously arrived in Mexico, they are on time to approach the INM and initiate the procedures to regularize their immigration status.
3) Observe and comply fully with current Mexican immigration legislation.
The Plan You are at home is a first step towards a permanent solution for those who obtain refugee status in Mexico, a procedure carried out by the Mexican Commission for Refugee Aid, with the accompaniment of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees ( UNHCR).
Mexicans living in Chiapas and Oaxaca will also benefit from PET, since it is maintained and extends its execution period for residents of both States.
The government of the Republic reiterates that the unrestricted commitment to the human rights of migrants does not mean an endorsement to irregular, massive and undocumented entry into Mexican territory, on the contrary it makes a new call to those who wish to enter Mexico, to avoid risks unnecessary and subject to the procedures that Mexican laws establish.