On Saturday, August 21st, organizations, crews, and individuals across the country will participate in a call from Jailhouse Lawyers Speak, a prisoner led abolitionist formation, to take part in national ‘Shut’Em Down’ demonstrations across the so-called US. The purpose of the call is to center the 10 demands that Jailhouse Lawyers Speak and other inside formations have been pushing since the historic 2016 prison strike, encourage people to get involved in local abolitionist organizing, and also gain steam, while building towards the 2022 prison strike that JLS has just announced.
— RevAbolitionNYC (@RevAbolitionNYC) August 15, 2021
So far, people have responded to the call by organizing everything from marches to free political prisoners, film showings, block parties, and noise demonstrations outside of ICE detention facilities, jails, and prisons.
Unknown location, Berkeley
— Oakland Abolition & Solidarity (@OaklandAboSol) August 6, 2021
If you would like to have your event listed, email us at: info [at] itsgoingdown [dot] org. Use the hashtag #ShutEmDown2021!
- August 21st: 12pm, rally at Northwest Detention Center in Tacoma, WA. For updates, follow here.
- August 21st: 6pm, online event. Info here.
- August 21st: 8pm, Sacramento Jail, I Street. Noise demo and solidarity demonstration.
- August 21st: 1pm, Southwood Park, rally and demonstration.
Santa Maria, CA:
- August 21st: 1pm, 740 Century Street, demonstration outside of ICE office.
Los Angeles, CA:
- September 4th: 12pm, rally outside of Men’s Central Jail.
- August 21st: 6pm, Jazz Gallery Center for the Arts, solidarity concert. More info here.
- August 21st: 1pm, 141 1st Street, Lakewood Correctional Facility. More info here.
Green Bay, WI:
- August 28th: 2833 Riverside Drive, Rally at Green Bay Correction Institution. More info here.
- August 28th: 4pm, 204 E Main Street, Champaign County Sheriff’s Office. Rally and protest.
- September 4th: 2pm, 2777 N Booth. Benefit concert.
- September 9th: 2pm, 1000 W State St, Milwaukee, WI. An afternoon and evening celebration to bring visibility to the thousands of prisoners held captive on this corner of so-called Milwaukee. More info here.
- August 21st: 5pm at the Alachua County Jail, 3333 NE 29th Ave, Justice for Heaven and Ava.
- August 21st: 9am, George State Prison, 300 1st Avenue South. Rally and demonstration.
- August 27th: 4pm, noise demo, 4500 Broad River, Rd. More info here.
- September 9th: 4pm, 4500 Broad River Rd, speak-out and rally outside of Turbeville correctional facility.
- August 21st: 7: 30pm, 19th Street, SE Between C and Burke Street. Noise demo and teach-in.
- August 21st: 12pm – 4pm, 950 Pennsylvania Ave. March for political prisoners.
- August 21st: 8pm, more info here. Demonstration in solidarity with prisoners.
Central Falls, RI:
- August 21st: 2pm, Donald Wyatt Detention Center, 950 High Street, Central Falls. Rally and protest.
- August 20th: 3pm, Horizon Juvenile Center, 560 Brook Ave Bronx, press conference.
- August 21st: 12pm, Hunts Point 6 train station, march and demonstration.
New York, NY:
- August 21st: 4pm, 158 West 27th St. Protest and rally.
- September 9th: Protest at Attica prison.
- September 9th: 5pm, rally at monument in MLK park, Buffalo, NY.
#ShutEmDown2021 Action Roundup:
- May 1st: May Day motorcade to spread work of #ShutEmDown2021 in Brooklyn, NY.
- June: Call for graffiti to spread call for #ShutEmDown2021.
- June 12th: Shut’Em Down graffiti, New York, NY area.
- July 10th: Grocery mutual aid distro and outreach in New York, NY area.
- July 12th: Mass mailing into Riker’s Island event.
- July 16th: Livestream benefit show for Jailhouse Lawyers Speak. More info here.
- July 16th: Mass mailing into Riker’s Island.
- July 23rd: Mass mailing into Riker’s Island.
- August 6th: Shut’Em Down graffiti in Berkeley, CA.
- August 6th: Prison strike graffiti, Oakland, CA.
- August 9th: Tabling with info and mutual aid supplies, Brooklyn, NY.
- August 11th: Posters wheat-pasted in New York, NY area.
- August 13th: Shut’Em Down graffiti, New York, NY.
- August 14th, abolitionist block parties held in Milwaukee and Brooklyn. More info here.
- August 15th: Black August film showing at the Landing Strip in Minneapolis, MN.
- August 15th: Stickering and wheat pasted posters in New York, NY.
- August 17th: Posters wheat pasted in New York, NY area.