Above Photo: ‘Stop Cop City’ Week of Action Begins in Atlanta.
Atlanta, Georgia – Atlanta-area forest defenders, community activists and their allies from around the country and the world are initiating a ‘week of action’ against a proposed ‘Cop City’ urban warfare campus and a movie industry facility that would demolish much of the largest urban forest in the country.
The upcoming week of protests and direct actions comes less than two months after Georgia State Patrol shot and killed Manuel ‘Tortuguita’ Terán in suspicious circumstances at a defense encampment near the proposed site on January 18, 2023.
The week of action is kicking off with a rally at Gresham Park, with a music festival scheduled for the rest of the weekend. The coming days will feature more rallies, direct actions, and press conferences.
Sunday, March 5: Police Action near ‘Cop City’ Opponents’ Gathering:
After the largest march to date through the Atlanta Forest, police have mobilized near an anti-Cop City music festival along Constitution Road, near the R.C. Field. Some protesters were arrested in the woods, as armed state police swept the area. At the music fest there are about 500 people.
Earlier in the evening a group of people headed for a security outpost used to surveil parts of the forest construction area, were able to overrun the facility and burned at least one vehicle.
Follow Unicorn Riot for on-the-ground coverage & check out our Atlanta Forest landing page for all previous reports.
More information on ‘Stop Cop City’ & Week of Action
- Unicorn Riot Atlanta Forest landing page
- “With a Growing Number of Allies, Defend the Forest Movement Launches into Fifth Week of Action” – Atlanta Community Press Collective
- “Meet the Major Corporations and Cultural Institutions Helping Build Cop City in Atlanta” – LittleSis – Nov. 2022
- “Norfolk Southern Donated $100,000 to Cop City” – InTheseTimes, Feb. 28, 2023
- Landing Page: Unicorn Riot Coverage of the Movement to Protect the Atlanta Forest
- ‘Stop Cop City’ Week of Action Begins in Atlanta (March 4, 2023)
- ‘Tortuguita Vive’: A No-Compromise Movement Responds to Police Killing a Forest Defender (February 27, 2023)
- Atlanta Activists Say Prosecutors Plan to Indict them on RICO Charges (February 25, 2023)
- ‘Community’ Committee Cheers Police Violence as Authorities Repress Resistance to ‘Cop City’ (February 24, 2023)
- Supporters of ‘Cop City’ Opponents Rally in Philly (February 24, 2023)
- Minneapolis March Connects Roof Depot Demolition Resistance to the Atlanta Forest (February 21, 2023)
- Atlanta PD Releases Bodycam Footage from Deadly Jan. 18 Forest Raid (February 8, 2023)
- Manuel ‘Tortuguita’ Terán’s Family Seeks Transparency in Police Killing (February 7, 2023)
- City of Atlanta and DeKalb County Announce ‘Agreement’ Amidst Growing Opposition to Cop City (January 31, 2023)
- Marches and Vigils Across the US Respond to the Police Killing of Forest Defender Tort (January 22, 2023)
- Protester Shot and Killed by Officers During Raid on Atlanta Forest (January 18, 2023)
- Blackhall Intensifies Destruction of Weelaunee People’s Park in Atlanta Forest (January 16, 2023)
- SWAT Teams Attack Atlanta Forest Encampments, Activists Charged with ‘Terrorism’ (December 18, 2022)
- [Mini Doc] Defending the Atlanta Forest: Behind the Movement to Stop Cop City (Oct. 9, 2022)
- “Cop City” General Contractors’ Offices Attacked (May 19, 2022)
- Police Raid Atlanta Forest Occupation (May 18, 2022)
- Atlanta Fights to Save Its Forest (May 14, 2022)