Hamas’ armed wing, Izz El-Din Al-Qassam Brigades, launched on Wednesday morning a barrage of missiles from southern Lebanon on Israeli targets in the north. Al-Qssam Brigades said it bombed “the headquarters of Israel’s 769th Eastern Brigade (Camp Ghaibour), and its airport barracks in Beit Hilal in northern occupied Palestine, with two missile salvos consisting of 40 Grad missiles.” It said the attack comes as a response to “the Zionist massacres against civilians in the Gaza Strip and the assassination of the martyred leaders and their brothers in the southern suburbs of Lebanon,” referring to Saleh Al-Arouri, Hamas deputy political leader and four Al-Qassam’s commanders assassinated by Israel in January.
Months after Israel’s initial declaration that they would never attack a hospital, the Israeli military has assaulted several medical facilities in Gaza, rendering them inoperable and leaving the people of Gaza to die slow and painful deaths. On Sunday morning, Nasser Medical Complex in Khan Younis went out of service following a brutal military raid that lasted several days over the course of last week. In addition to several Palestinians who were killed by Israeli snipers near the entrance to the hospital, eight people in the hospital later died due to the siege of the facility, which prevented electricity and medical supplies from entering the hospital, according to Gaza’s Health Ministry.
ZAKA, the Israeli volunteer-based religious organization that gained notoriety for its role of collecting bodies after the events of 7 October, is once again under the spotlight. An explosive report by Haaretz last week exposed the group’s “cases of negligence, misinformation, and a fundraising campaign that used the dead as props.” More notably, the report provided new details suggesting ZAKA might not be a genuine volunteer organization, but rather a front for the Israeli army. It is believed to have played a part in concealing the truth that Israel caused the deaths of potentially hundreds of its own civilians in accordance with the Hannibal Directive.
The United States has warned that it will not support an “unplanned” military operation in Rafah without due consideration for displaced Palestinians who are sheltering there. “We haven’t seen any plans that would convince us that they [the Israeli military] is about to, or imminently going to conduct any major operations in Rafah,” said U.S. national security spokesperson John Kirby, addressing a White House Press Conference on Thursday. “More than one million Palestinians are sheltering in and around Rafah,” he continued. “The Israeli military has a special obligation as they conduct operations there or anywhere else to make sure that they’re factoring in protection for innocent civilian life.”
A potential deal between Israel and the Palestinian resistance movements could silence the guns in the Gaza Strip for a period of four and half months, paving the way to a permanent ceasefire. On Tuesday evening, Hamas submitted a long-awaited response to an Israeli proposal brokered by Qatar, Egypt and the CIA in Paris last week, in which Tel Aviv suggested a 45-day pause of fighting in Gaza during which Hamas will release 35 Israeli captives in return for 4,000 Palestinian prisoners. According to Al-Jazeera, Hamas’ answer to the truce framework affirmed the movement’s position to reach a permanent ceasefire and end the Israeli aggression in Gaza.
Negotiations are taking place over a ceasefire in the Gaza Strip and a complete withdrawal of the Israeli occupation forces, sources told Al Mayadeen on Sunday. The stipulations of the agreement being drawn up include the issues of the ceasefire, withdrawal, prisoner exchange, reconstruction, displaced people, the entry of aid, and the lifting of the siege imposed on Gaza. Intelligence obtained by Al Mayadeen indicates that the Paris Agreement touched on the prisoner exchange but completely neglected the ceasefire and the withdrawal from Gaza, whereas the Resistance’s agreement highlights those issues as pivotal.
Operation al-Aqsa Flood was a necessary step and a normal response to confront all Israeli conspiracies against the Palestinian people and their cause; a defensive act within the framework of ridding Palestine of the Israeli occupation, reclaiming Palestinian rights, and on the path to liberation and independence like all people around the world, the Palestinian Hamas Resistance movement said. Hamas published Sunday a memorandum entitled: “Our Narrative… Operation al-Aqsa Flood,” in which the Resistance movement explained the reasons behind the October 7 operation and the motives behind it, as well as its general context concerning the Palestinian cause and a debunking of the Israeli narrative and the accusations raised against the Palestinian Resistance.
Iranian foreign minister Hossein Amir Abdollahian accused Israel of using “mindless terrorism” to cover up its losses in its war on Gaza. Abdollahian’s statement on Sunday, January 21, came after five members of its Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) were killed in an Israeli air strike in Damascus a day before. Abdollahian claimed that, “although the Zionist enemy has destroyed Gaza on a large scale and martyred tens of thousands of people, it has not achieved any of its goals, so it is trying to make up for its defeat by resorting to blind terrorism,” Press TV reported. IRGC said in a statement on Saturday that at least five of its “military advisors” were killed when an Israeli air raid hit a building in Damascus’ Mezzeh neighborhood.
The Israeli army withdrew the 36th Division from the occupied Gaza Strip on Monday afternoon, leaving behind the 162nd Division in northern Gaza, the 99th Division in central Gaza, and the 98th Division in the southern region of Khan Younis. Hundreds of Israeli soldiers and military vehicles were seen leaving the Gaza Strip. The Israeli military said the 36th Division would be given a short break and go through a training period, confirming that the war on Gaza would carry on. However, the pullout of the division came as Yoav Gallant, the Minister of Defense, said that the “intensive stage” of the war in north Gaza has reached its end.
On the 100-day mark of Israel’s aggression on the Gaza Strip, nearly 100,000 Palestinians have been killed, injured, or buried under the rubble. Yet, Israel appears to be unabated, supported by the U.S., UK, and European countries, ignoring international calls for a ceasefire or calls to allow sufficient humanitarian aid to enter the enclave. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu pledged on Saturday evening that the Israeli military invasion of Gaza will not stop “until complete victory.” “No one will stop us; not The Hague, not the axis of evil and not anyone else calling the International Court of Justice (ICJ),” he said.
Hamas’ surprise offensive last Oct. 7 dealt the most lethal blow to the Israeli military and public since the establishment of the state in 1948. In retaliation, Israel launched the most extensive military assault on Gaza in its history, destroying large swathes of the territory and killing more than 22,185 Palestinians and injuring at least 57,000 as of Jan. 2, according to the Gaza Health Ministry. With green lights from the U.S. and much of Europe, Israel has carried out what scholars and experts have called a genocide campaign, seeking to rid itself of the Palestinians in Gaza under the guise of decimating Hamas.
‘Operation Al-Aqsa Flood’ Day 89: Hamas And Hezbollah Pledge To Punish Israel Following Aruri Killing
Saleh Al-Aruri, 57, the deputy political leader of the Islamic Resistance Movement (Hamas), was killed in a drone airstrike in the Lebanese capital Beirut on Tuesday evening. Aruri is the most senior Hamas leader to be killed since the October 7 Palestinian cross-fence attack, which shocked Israel’s security and intelligence establishment. Aruri was one of the masterminds of The Al-Aqsa Flood operation. He talked about it openly in an interview with Al-Mayadeen channel in August. On Tuesday evening, he was killed in the movement’s office in Al-Dahiya, the southern Beirut suburb and the stronghold of Hezbollah movement.
An Israeli drone strike hit a Hamas office in Beirut on Tuesday, killing at least six people, including a senior Hamas official, Lebanese media has reported. A US official told The Washington Post that Israel was responsible for the strike that killed Saleh al-Arouri, the deputy chief of Hamas’s political bureau. The Israeli attack on the Lebanese capital marks a huge escalation and could provoke a major war. Hamas has confirmed that al-Arouri was killed and released a statement on his assassination. “The cowardly assassinations carried out by the Zionist occupation against the leaders and symbols of our Palestinian people inside and outside Palestine will not succeed in breaking the will and steadfastness of our people or in undermining the continuation of their valiant resistance,” Hamas said.
There is a difference between the Qatari proposal and the Egyptian proposal, which aims for a cease-fire. The Qatari proposal was presented by the head of the Mossad [Israel’s Intelligence and Special Operations] which was presented to the leadership of the Hamas movement, which stressed the need to remove the barriers and return the population to the cities of the north. The Hamas movement presented a clear position emphasizing that negotiations will not take place until the aggression against our people stops and aid enters the Gaza Strip, after which the reconstruction of the Gaza Strip will be negotiated.