Skip to content

West Bank

West Bank On Strike Following Israel’s Tulkarem Massacre

A comprehensive strike was declared across the occupied West Bank city of Tulkarem on 21 April in mourning of at least 19 Palestinians killed by Israeli forces during a three-day raid there. Israeli troops withdrew from the city earlier on 21 April, after inflicting widespread destruction in Tulkarem’s Nour Shams refugee camp. Hamas called in a statement after midnight on Saturday for all people “to ignite confrontations with the criminal Zionist occupation … in the West Bank and Al-Quds, in response to the criminal massacre in Nour Shams camp in Tulkarem.”

West Bank’s Tulkarem Steps Up Resistance Against Israeli Raids

Palestinian resistance fighters engaged in intense clashes with Israeli troops in the occupied West Bank city of Tulkarem on 9 January, which erupted when the army stormed the city at midnight on Monday after the assassination of three resistance fighters. The clashes occurred near the occupied city's Nour Shams and Tulkarem camps. Resistance fighters prevented Israeli forces from fully entering either camp. “[Our] strikes against the enemy forces continue,” the Tulkarem Brigade said in a statement on Tuesday morning. Israeli troops killed three resistance fighters on Monday evening after the army stormed Tulkarem. Footage shows an Israeli jeep driving over the body of one of the assassinated fighters.

‘Operation Al-Aqsa Flood’ Day 57: ‘Not An Inch’ Of Gaza Is Spared By Israel

The resumption of Israeli airstrikes on the Gaza Strip on Friday after a weeklong truce killed at least 193 Palestinians and wounded 652 in the first 24 hours, the Gaza Ministry of Health reported. While the ministry has struggled to keep track of the death toll since mid-November due, in part, to a breakdown in communication with the northern Gaza Strip, it said on Saturday that its latest estimates stood at at 15,207 Palestinians killed and 40,752 wounded in the besieged enclave, adding that 70 percent of them were women and children, and 280 were medical personnel. The ministry also said that Israeli forces had detained at least 31 health care workers, including Al-Shifa’ hospital director Mohammad Abu Salmiya.

Israeli Troops Besiege West Bank Hospitals, Jenin Refugee Camp

Israeli troops concluded a brutal raid in the occupied West Bank city of Jenin on 17 November, killing at least five, injuring over a dozen, and laying siege to several hospitals in the city. The raid began on Thursday evening and extended into the following day. Dozens of military vehicles stormed the city as troops invaded several homes and made arrests. “Dozens of armored vehicles turned up, with bulldozers as well, damaging cars, damaging the roads,” said Al-Jazeera correspondent Sara Khairat. Heavy clashes erupted between the army and resistance fighters. In a statement around midnight, the Jenin branch of Hamas’ armed wing, the Qassam Brigades, announced that fighters were “engaged in heroic armed clashes alongside all resistance factions in the camp, targeting the occupation army with heavy barrages of bullets and explosive devices.”

‘Operation Al-Aqsa Flood’ Day 40: Israeli Forces Storm Al-Shifa Hospital

Israeli forces and tanks stormed on Wednesday morning Gaza’s largest hospital, Al-Shifa, following a late-night threat call to the hospital’s medical staff warning them of an imminent incursion inside the sprawling complex at “any minute”. Currently housing thousands of patients, doctors, and civilian families, Al-Shifa has been a primary target of Israel since the beginning of its war on Gaza. In recent days Israel and the US have been ramping up claims of alleged “intelligence” to support Israel’s allegation of a Hamas command center that it says lies beneath the hospital. Following the threatening call on Tuesday night, Al Jazeera reported that hospital staff warned Israeli forces that there were thousands of civilians and patients in the wards.

The Nakba 2.0: Issa Amro’s Insider Account Of Israeli Torture In Hebron

Coming back to his house on October 7, world-renowned activist Issa Amro was dragged away by 15 armed Israelis, blindfolded, gagged, and cuffed so tightly he now needs an operation on his hands. The settlers and soldiers kept him imprisoned for days, beating and torturing him, constantly simulating his execution. Speaking with MintPress News, Amro told the story of what life is like for Palestinians living in the West Bank city of Hebron. “In my city where I live now, since October 7, there is a curfew,” he told Mnar Adley and Alan MacLeod. But this curfew is far more restrictive than others. Palestinian families – those who have not already fled the genocidal Israeli violence – are given only six hours a week to leave their homes.

Illegal Settlers’ Reign Of Terror In The West Bank

It is the same story in every village in the South Hebron Hills. Israeli settlers are seizing livestock, wrecking water tanks, smashing solar panels, bulldozing outbuildings and destroying the olive groves upon which Palestinian farmers depend for their livelihood. They arrive unannounced armed with M16 machine guns which they are more than happy to use. They beat up villagers with iron bars, with sticks, with fists, with the butts of their guns. They assault women and the elderly. They enter Palestinian houses ripping out fixtures and fittings, stealing money, destroying papers, overturning furniture.

On The Ground In Jenin With The West Bank’s Resistance Fighters

Israel continues to unleash hell upon the 22-by-5-mile concentrated area of Gaza, in the Occupied Palestinian Territories, with relentless airstrikes and indiscriminate bombings of hospitals, residential buildings, schools, and other civilian sites. As besieged Palestinians shelter and flee and die within the walls of their cage in Gaza, Resistance forces are mobilizing to rise up against an Occupation that has presided over lives for 75 years. Where there is occupation, there is resistance, and numerous Palestinian resistance groups exist across the Occupied Territories. These groups consist of occupied subjects turned freedom fighters.

Jewish National Fund Declares It Will Fund Land Confiscation In The West Bank

Last month, for the first time in its long history, the Jewish National Fund (KKL-JNF) openly declared that it will fund land confiscation in the West Bank, in defiance of international law. Its board of governors voted through the allocation of NIS 38 million to purchase land to expand Jewish-only settlements.  All Israeli settlements, based on stolen Palestinian land in the West Bank, constitute a war crime under international law.  Yet the British arm of KKL-JNF, JNF UK, continues to be a registered charity, enjoying tax exemption to raise funds for its parent organisation.  This decision is not an aberration, or a reversal of existing JNF policy, but a clear indication that the settlement expansion driven by Israel’s far right government and emboldened by the support it received from the Trump administration, is set to continue, more blatantly than previously.    

Netanyahu Pledges To Build 3,500 Illegal Homes In Key West Bank Area

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu announced Tuesday his plans to authorize the construction of some 3,500 new illegal homes for Jewish settlers in one of the most sensitive areas of the occupied West Bank. "I have given instructions to immediately publish for deposit the plan to build 3,500 housing units in E-1," Netanyahu said in a speech, describing the first phase of a planning process, adding that "this had been delayed for six or seven years."

Israel’s Next Move: The Real Danger In US Decision To Normalize Illegal Jewish Settlements

By rendering the illegal settlements “consistent” with international law, Washington is paving the road for Israel to annex all major settlement blocs in the occupied West Bank. Israel, which was never truly concerned with international law in the first place, urgently required this American nod to move forward with annexing at least 60% of the West Bank. With the hemorrhaging of US concessions to Israel, Netanyahu is eager for more. Desperate to strengthen his faltering grip on power, the Israeli leader agreed on November 20 to advance a bill that calls for the annexation of the Jordan Valley.

Israeli Intelligence Veterans Refuse To Serve In Palestine

Forty-three veterans of one of Israel’s most secretive military intelligence units – many of them still active reservists – have signed a public letter refusing to serve in operations involving the occupied Palestinian territories because of the widespread surveillance of innocent residents. The signatories include officers, former instructors and senior NCOs from the country’s equivalent of America’s NSA or Britain’s GCHQ, known as Unit 8200 – or in Hebrew as Yehida Shmoneh-Matayim. They allege that the “all-encompassing” intelligence the unit gathers on Palestinians – much of it concerning innocent people – is used for “political persecution” and to create divisions in Palestinian society. The largest intelligence unit in the Israeli military, Unit 8200 intercepts electronic communications including email, phone calls and social media in addition to targeting military and diplomatic traffic. The signatories say, however, that a large part of their work was unrelated to Israel’s security or defence, but appeared designed to perpetuate the occupation by “infiltrating” and “controlling” all aspects of Palestinian life.
Sign Up To Our Daily Digest

Independent media outlets are being suppressed and dropped by corporations like Google, Facebook and Twitter. Sign up for our daily email digest before it’s too late so you don’t miss the latest movement news.